Friday, April 19, 2013

Winter



The brown, barren earth

A chill runs through

Howling in its anguish

For it is alone

 

Glass panes fall to earth                                                                                                       5

Like a window being shattered

As white waves wash

Over this lonely land

 

A lone wolf cries out

But only the wind responds                                                                                                10

Howling in its anguish

For they are alone

 

Glass is snow

Piercing my skin

As white waves wash                                                                                                         15

Over this barren land

 

 

1)      Line 2-3, Personification.  “A chill runs through Howling in its anguish” I personified the wind by having it running through the land as it is howling out in anguish; however, wind is not able to have feelings but giving it the personification of having feelings of anguish emphasizes the lonely and desolate place.

2)      Line 13, Metaphor.  “Glass is snow” I make the comparison that glass is similar to snow as it hits me.  The piercing made by sharp pieces of glass, and the piercing chill of snow are compared to each other in order to not only make it clear that the glass falling is snow, but also to keep the lonely and somber mood of the poem.

3)      Line 5-6, Simile.  “Glass panes fall to earth Like a window being shattered” I am comparing the glass falling to earth similar to when a window is shattered and broken.  I am able to help clarify the image I want readers to see as the glass falls to earth through the use of a simile.

4)      Lines 3-4 & 11-12, Lines 7-8 & 15-16, Parallelism.  I end each stanza of the poem using the same alternating phrases.  I am able to emphasize the snow covered lonely land by repeating the same lines with only a few word changes.

5)      Line 1, Imagery.  “The brown barren earth” I am able to use visual imagery right at the beginning of the poem to create a scene for my reader.  Throughout the poem I continue to use imagery to remind the reader of the visual and at times auditory and tactile scene in the poem.

6)      Line 2, Metonymy.  “A chill runs through” the chill that is being discussed in the poem has replaced wind in order to give the reader the feel of the cold in the scene.

7)      Line 3 & 11, Diction.  “Howling in its anguish” I use the word anguish out of many other words I could have used.   I chose anguish in order to give the feeling of pain and that it doesn’t want to be alone or there.  It is able to keep the somber tone of the poem.

2 comments:

  1. FIRST COMMENT YEAAAAAH. It's so depressing. Edgy teen poem. Yes. But it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem has a really strong and consistant tone. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete