Sunday, April 28, 2013

Gardening... Strawberries


            Today was in the seventies, like what is this, this has not happened in forever.  I was finally able to feel comfortable with planting all of the strawberry plants in my hanging trellis off of my deck that my dad and brother put up for me last year.  Yeah, I’m one of those crazy garden people and I don’t know why but I am so deal with it.  I was so excited to be able to plant my strawberries that I couldn’t wait to do it and did it right after I got home from work even though I was so tired and just really needed a nap.

            This is going to be one of those awkward blog posts with tips about gardening I’m just super excited so sorry if I start to ramble.  The unfortunate thing with strawberry plants are that they take need to be planted a good 18 inches apart from each other and are always sending out these things called “runners” from the base plant.  If you are planting strawberries, I would recommend when you plant them, plant something like radishes or carrots around them that will be able to be harvested within a few weeks so that you aren’t wasting all of the extra growing space in your garden.

            Strawberry plants are also very frustrating in the fact that they usually have very crappy growing years for their first year, and then only last a good 3-4 years before being burned out.  The way that you avoid having them all have the same good years is pinch the blossoms off of every other plant the first year, after the third year go through and remove all of the plants on one half and replant the next spring doing the same with the other half the next fall.  This is to avoid having them all have the same first year twice, and pinching off the blossoms gives them a good second year but nothing the first season which is why you only do half.

            Have fun growing, oh and don’t forget to water all your plants.

350

No comments:

Post a Comment