Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fads


            I am going to make this blog post in response to my dear friend Finley's latest blog post.  He had a blog post about hats but I found the actual purpose to be about fads.  I wanted to talk mainly about the last point he made and the big hair fad in the 70s.

            If you ever stop to think about it, many of the fashions from the 70s and 80s have been coming back.  The poofs in the hair and in general a lot of the clothes are all coming back from the time of my parents.

            A couple of years ago I was so confused why everyone was going from wearing boot cut jeans to skinny jeans.  I used to think that they were the craziest idea ever, but a few years later I am wearing usually only skinny jeans.  In case you didn’t know, skinny jeans are a returning fad, as Finley would say, from the 70s and 80s.

            Another fad would be neon.  Nowadays you can walk into quite a few stores, and they have a whole section of neon clothes, or at least they did last summer.  Once again, neon is from the time of my parents and it had its return to us.

            The biggest shock I have had with returning fads would have to be the idea of poofs in the hair.  Now it is quite common to simply poof your bangs or the front part of your hair to keep it out of your hair at any time.  Other people will wear a headband and put a big poof in the back.  I used to think that this was the craziest thing ever when the fad began to return, but now I do it too.

            It really is weird the way that fads come and go, being recycled and returning as the generations age.  I’m just hoping that shoulder pads never come back, I don’t think I would be able to handle that fad.

332

No comments:

Post a Comment