Monday, September 10, 2012

The Changing World


            A friend of mine, or at least someone I know not sure if we are the term friends, recently gave up the internet and Netflix for a week.  I don’t have Netflix so that wouldn’t be very hard but I feel like it would be very difficult to give up the internet.

            Nowadays it seems like in order to be able to get anything done you have to have the internet and a smart phone.  I even have a class this year that we are allowed to use certain apps on tests, but I don’t have a smart phone or fancy iPod, so therefore I am missing out on all these opportunities.

            Now if I gave up the internet during the summer, I feel like it would really not be that big of a deal, I might just be out of the loop on Twitter.  During the school year, however, I have to constantly check my email, I have school projects, and of course I have to blog every week.

            Personally, I can’t imagine what life would have been like for a teenager even when I was born 16 years ago.  Now, most kids entertain themselves on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Netflix.  All of these things didn’t even exist a decade ago, and most families didn’t even own computers.

            Sometimes I wish I knew what life was like as a teenager 16 years ago, when I was born.  Most likely, I would not have had my own cell phone, laptop, or 3 TVs in my house.  I know for a fact that I would not be writing a blog for my LA class and that every time I did use a computer I would not freak out when it took more than a second to open up a document.  As the new laws regarding school nutrition show, I would probably be eating healthier and kids would be more active.

            I know I am only a teenager, but kids these days are spoiled and lazy.  We all drive to school even if we live only 2 blocks away and I know everyone at some point during their life has called someone in their house to ask for something instead of walking to them.  I am able to just text my friend whenever I want to talk to them, and I don’t have to wait till I get home and call them, and hope they are home too.

            Technology is changing the way kids grow up.  I have even heard that in some professions the information taught in college changes every year, which means that your knowledge will be out-of-date the year after you graduate.  In some ways these changes are good, but we will just have to wait and see what the overall outcome will be.

465

No comments:

Post a Comment