Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter Driving


            Winter driving.  Well we have had to do it a few times already.  We had the blizzard back in December and then a few small snow falls.  Today is something new, today we have ice.  Ice I am only guessing is a little different than snow when it comes to driving.  With snow, we can see that the roads are obviously slippery and stuff; but with ice you can’t always see that the roads are as slippery.

            Whenever the roads are bad, I would always suggest just staying home; I would especially suggest this to teenage drivers, but even to more experienced drivers.  When the roads are as slick as they are today, no matter how good of a driver you think you are, it is very easy to hit a slick patch of ice and go sliding right into the curb and break your axle or whatever; or maybe into another car.

            There are some things about winter driving that really seem to piss me off that other drivers do.  I’m sure things that I do make others mad, but these just happen to make me mad:

1.      People who seem to think that they can drive the normal speed limit no matter how bad the roads are.  People like this are just plain stupid.  I hate when people do this because not only are they risking their own lives, but they are also risking everyone else’s lives out on the road.  If you are out driving and the roads are bad, use common sense and slow down!

2.      Drivers who will tailgate you because you aren’t driving the speed limit in the slick conditions.  Okay, there are lots of things wrong with this situation.  First, if the roads are slick it is probably smart to be going slow.  Second, it is stupid to tailgate someone because if they have to make a sudden stop you won’t be able to stop in time and hit them.  Third, the roads are slick so it is just that much more stupid to be tailgating someone. Duh!

3.      The thing that really makes me mad is drivers that think that you won’t be going extra slow when turning.  Hopefully you know what I mean, the drivers that don’t slow down when they are coming up on you while you are slowing down to an almost stop to turn but then are forced to turn faster.  I spun into the curb in front of my own house during the blizzard in December because some idiot (excuse my language) decided not to slow down or go in the other lane (it is a 5-lane road) when I was turning on to my street so I had to turn faster than I wanted to.  I am now scared to death to drive when the roads are just a little slick even.

I would like to suggest to everyone that you just stay home when it comes to freezing rain and snow.  I have already heard the sirens of multiple emergency vehicles today and it is not that late in the day yet.  I have also already spend about 30 minutes today watching a lady who, from the sound of it, hit the curb at least 2 times before coming to a stop in front of my house, walk around trying to call people to move her car and pick her up.  Stay home, it is better to be safe than sorry.  If you do have to go out, be smart and drive safe.

588

No comments:

Post a Comment