Saturday, February 2, 2013

Bipolar Iowa


                It is cold outside, like really cold.  This week has just had some terrible weather.  Sorry for the people reading my blog, you probably think I complain a lot, but I like the hot weather during the summer.  It has been like negative fifty degrees this week, not really, but still on the wrong side of zero… Well, most of the week.  I am going to invite you to hear about Iowa’s bipolar weather.

            Last Sunday, I woke up and it was just slightly above freezing with rain so not that bad outside for January in Iowa.  By the time I went to bed on Sunday, the rain had turned to freezing rain and the weather had dropped, leaving a layer of ice on all the streets.  Fun, ehh?

            Monday, it began to heat up again and many of the rural Iowa schools did not have school due to the ice and later the fog.  Driving home on Monday night it was difficult to see five feet in front of my car due to the extremely thick fog.  That night, I had trouble sleeping… Because while I can’t sleep during thunderstorms.

            This is the real shocker…. Tuesday morning I woke up…. And it was sixty degrees outside and raining… Actually more like pouring out.  By the time I left school around lunch time for an appointment, it was already forty degrees outside.  You can only imagine what happened as soon as the temperature hit the freezing point.

            I woke up Wednesday morning with 6 new inches of snow, a layer of ice underneath that, more snow falling, and a snow day!!! Yeah, after sixty degrees the day before.  Wednesday was a very long day, stuck inside, not really able to do much of anything.

            Thursday was cold, super cold, and got colder as the day went on.  The same was true for Friday.  Both Thursday and Friday we had two hour delays because, honestly the roads are still really icy and it has just been so cold.  To make the road conditions even better, last night on my way home it was starting to snow again and it is supposed to again tonight.

            Does anyone reading this want to move to Iowa now?  I didn’t think so.  We have some crazy weather here and I want to give kudos to all the people in charge of clearing our streets after these storms and the officers who have been responding to the increase in accidents these last few days.

418

No comments:

Post a Comment